Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gratitude Journals


The other day I was talking to a friend who said she was inspired to start a gratitude journal after hearing the same talk that inspired me to start ours. We talked about how taking the time to recognize our blessings has changed our perspectives. Ever since I have started doing this I have had an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for the life and blessings that I have been given. I have a family gratitude journal that we try to write in every Monday when we have our family home evenings. I also have created one for each of my children. I have a list of five questions that I glued to the first page. Every night I ask them the five questions and then have them think of at least one blessing that they had during that day. If they answer yes to all of the questions I let them put a sticker in their journal next to that day.
A lady I knew in Wyoming told us that she found a journal that her husband had kept from his teenage years. She said he had a list of goals that he would check off every night before going to bed. Her husband ended up graduating from Harvard Law school. I decided that I wanted to try this out. I am so glad I started doing this with my children. It is a good way to review how the day went. It also gives us the opportunity to talk about any problems that may have occurred that day. We discuss ways that they can handle the same problems better in the future.

The five questions I have listed in my kids books are:

Did I pray and read my scriptures today?
Did I listen well today?
Did I make my bed and clean my room without being asked?
Did I do something nice for someone?
Was I honest today?

If you would like to read President Henry B. Eyrings talk please click HERE. I promise it will be worth your time!