Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dr. Seuss Day

March 2nd is Dr. Seuss' birthday. We love Dr. Seuss books so we had to celebrate this occasion! I made green eggs and ham for breakfast. There was a big snowstorm so I wasn't able to make it to the store to pick up cubed ham. My kids like cubed ham but had no interest in eating the sliced ham lunch meat. I will make sure to buy the ham in advance next year. :) I was also unable to make it to the craft store due to the weather so I had to make the hats out of the supplies I had on hand. Since I didn't have red paper I had to use red crepe paper for the stripes on the hats. I saw a link for the hat idea on Skip to my Lou's website. Click HERE for the directions. They are so easy to make! I also used makeup crayons that I got on clearance after Halloween to draw whiskers on their faces.

Throughout the day I read my kids Dr. Seuss books and let them watch Dr. Seuss movies that I had checked out from the library. That evening we read The Sneetches and then let the kids pick a cupcake for dessert. In the book there are Sneetches with green stars on their bellies and plain bellied Sneetches. My kids both picked a cupcake with a star.
I pressed a small star cookie cutter on top of the yellow frosting to get a star outline. Then I traced the star outline in green frosting with the Wilton tip #4 and then filled the stars in using the Wilton tip #17. I used Wilton's buttercream frosting. Click HERE for the recipe.


I printed off a dot to dot, a maze and a match the Dr. Seuss character to the name activity page. I punched a hole in the top corners and tied them together to make little activity books for my kids. They loved this activity. I printed these from www.seussville.com. Click HERE to go to www.seussville.com.

We played a game called There is a Wocket in my Pocket. I put 12 small items on a cookie sheet. I kept it covered with a dish towel until it was time to play. My kids loved this game and have continued to play it together several times since. :) One person puts an object in their pocket while the others turn around. The first person who can guess which item is missing gets a point. The person with the most points at the end of the game wins.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hi, You did so fab things for Dr. Seuss day! I hope I can remember some of your ideas for next year...how fun!

I posted what we did...not as much compared to you!

Bonny said...

You are endlessly creative, Jadi. And it looks like everything you did was fabulous--you didn't even need a trip to the store!

Deck The HALLS of HOME with JOY! said...

Love your pictures and cute ideas! Thanks for sharing! The snow looks like FUN! Have a Great Day! :)

Debbie said...

Just want to say I'm inspired by your creative ideas and the memories you are making for your kids!

I blogged about your fabulousness!
Thanks for the inspiration!

www.itsallabouto.blogspot.com

Violet and Thomas said...

This is one of the days I miss being a kindergarten teacher!!!! Last year we made it a whole week celebration and focused on rhyming. Then the last day we had a big party with lots of activities. Feel free to look at my blog from March of last year.

I can't wait for Ben to be old enough to enjoy it. We did read a few books and I wore my Horton T-shirt. :0)