Saturday, September 20, 2008

Old Fashioned Taffy Pull


I remember pulling taffy when I was a little girl. I thought it was so much fun. I found this recipe and thought my kids would enjoy it. They had so much fun pulling their taffy and eating it too!

Here is the recipe:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup water
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla

In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar, corn syrup, water, cornstarch, butter, and salt. Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture reaches 260 degrees on a candy thermometer or until a tiny droplet placed in a cup of ice water forms a hard ball. (This took me about 20-25 minutes) Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. pour into a buttered bowl. When it is cool enough to handle, you and a partner with buttered hands begin to pull and stretch the wad of taffy. When it has a glossy sheen, lay it flat and cut it into small pieces and wrap with waxed paper.