Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade Personal Size Pizzas

This week for our cooking class I let my kids make their own personal size pizzas. I found a book at the library called The Pizza That We Made. After I read the book I let my kids help me make the pizza dough, toss it in the air and roll it out. Then they spread the pizza sauce on with spoons and topped them with pepperoni and cheese. They both loved making and eating their own pizzas. My son said it was the most fun he has ever had. :)

There was a pizza dough recipe in the back of the book but I wanted to try out a different recipe. It turned out really good. Here is the recipe if you want to try it. This made enough dough for six personal size pizzas, two medium sized round pizzas or one large rectangular pizza baked in a large jelly roll pan.

1 Tbsp. Yeast
1 1/2 C. warm water
1 tsp. Sugar
4 C. Flour
1 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Oil

In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast, warm water and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add 2 cups flour, salt and oil. Stir until well blended. Add remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic. (I used my kitchen aid with the dough hook attachment) Let dough rise until double (30-60 minutes). Roll out dough and rub a thin layer of olive oil on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Spread on pizza sauce and top with your favorite toppings. Bake an additional 10 minutes.