Thursday, July 16, 2009

Macaroni Necklaces


Every once in awhile I color macaroni noodles to keep in my craft container for rainy days. To make necklaces I tape one end of a piece of yarn and tie the other end. Taping one end makes it easier for the kids to put the noodles on. My kids always enjoy making patterns out of the different colored noodles. This time I used gel food coloring in place of regular food coloring to make the colors more vibrant.

Here are the directions:

Pour 2 Tbsp of rubbing alcohol with 3-4 drops of food coloring into ziploc bag and mix the two together. Then pour approximately 1 cup of dry uncooked macaroni noodles into the bag. Seal the bag and shake until the noodles are evenly colored. Drain excess liquid and then pour the noodles out onto a cookie sheet covered with paper towels. Spread the noodles out with a fork and let them dry. This will take about 30-60 minutes. Store colored macaroni in small containers with lids.

8 comments:

Staci said...

HI! I am going to make these next week on a HOT 100 degree day. Thanks for posting. I like your blog. Staci

Oh at my Albertson's in South Ogden they had some pasta on clearance (in a cart) for .25 a bag. Elbow macaroni here I come.

Jody said...

Can't wait to give ours a try! Thanks!

Haylee said...

Hey Jadi!! I haven't checked your blog for a while and you have posted some GREAT ideas!!! I love them all!! And you have become quite the photographer as well!! Great job!!

Onna said...

I think I'm going to make these for my daughter's friends to make as a back up for a pool party if rained out. :) So cute. Thanks for the diretions!

Pink & Green Mama said...

WE love to dye noodles and rice around here. If you don't have rubbing alcohol on hand you can substitute Purelle hand sanitizer just use 3-4 pumps!! Works great and dries faster than the alcohol. : )

Emmalie said...

Fabulous!! When I saw the picture I wondered how I could color those noodles and vooala....instructions included! Thanks!

♥ilovemy5kids♥ said...

Love this craft...helps the child to focus on finger coordination which helps with handwriting. LOVE IT!

I don't think most doctors practiced this craft enough. :)

Lana @ www.ilovemy5kids.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Haha, I just discovered I had an extra 32 oz box of macaroni elbows in the pantry! Do you know how BIG a 32 oz box of macaroni elbows is?! Now I know exactly what to do with! I have a 3 year old little boy that is going to be VERY excited. Thanks so much for reminding me how to do this.