Friday, February 27, 2009

A Fancy Nancy Party

A picture of the fancy girls modeling their new accessories on the stage.

Some of the party decorations.

Some accessories to help make the girls as fancy as Nancy.

Turning plain bags into fancy bags to hold their new fancy accessories.

I served parfaits for dessert which is the fancy word for ice cream sundaes.

The invitations.


If you have never read the Fancy Nancy books then you are missing out! They are adorable. I decided to have a Fancy Nancy party because the little girls in our preschool group love to dress up and be fancy. I had so much fun planning this party.

A friend of mine was kind enough to print the invitations off in color for me. I attached them to card stock and then tied little tiaras to them with ribbon and cellophane. You can print the same invitations from harpercollinschildrens.com. Click HERE to go to the link. If you scroll down you can also print off a Fancy Nancy coloring page. I printed those off for the girls to color after decorating their bags.

You can find directions to make the paper bag flowers on Martha Stewart's website. Click HERE to go to the link. I helped my friend put these together for a church activity. She was kind enough to let me borrow them for this party. These are easy to make and you can easily fold them up and save them to use again in the future.

I made the Fancy Nancy banner by cutting 12X12 card stock sheets into fourths. I cut the lettering and flowers out with my cricut machine. I punched two holes in the top corners of each sheet and strung white yarn through the holes.

I used hot glue to attach flowers to the straws and then tied white ribbons under the flowers. I also used hot glue to attach ribbon and bows to the cups. (I did this right before the guest arrived. I wish I would have had time to trim the bows) I found some white heart paper dollies on clearance from Valentine's Day and used them to place under the cups. I also glued flowers to ribbons and then tied them around the napkins. For the place cards I wrote the girls names in glitter.

When the girls first arrived I started the party by reading the original Fancy Nancy book. After reading the book I gave all of the girls accessories so they could help turn a plain mom into a fancy mom. My friend did a great job playing the part. Then I gave them each a cookie to practice eating with their pinkies out. After that I handed out the fancy accessories (glasses, necklaces and rings) and had the girls model their new fancy accessories on the stage (A table covered with a plastic tablecloth). My friend also brought a bag of cute butterfly hair clips for the girls. Then they decorated plain bags with crayons and foam stickers to turn them into fancy bags to take their new accessories home in. We ended our party by making parfaits. (Parfaits are fancy for ice cream sundaes) I bought a gallon of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, caramel, strawberry and pineapple ice cream toppings, bananas, nuts, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, mini marshmallows, whipped cream and maraschino cherries.