Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Curious George Themed Storytime


I bought a red plastic tablecloth from the dollar store and used my son's stuffed Curious George and some bananas for the decorations. We started out by reading a Curious George book.


I bought a pad of Crayola Giant Watercolor paper and some watercolor sets so my kids could paint like Curious George. Finger paints would also be fun.


My kids love dot to dots and mazes. I also found a Curious George mask template. I found some great websites where you can print these and other Curious George activities. Here are the links I used:

www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/features/cgsite/partykitpdfs/newcgpartykit_full.pdf
www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/features/cgsite/gamesandfun.shtml


Here are the finished masks. The kids had fun coloring and cutting out their masks. Then we taped them to craft sticks. I recommend using white card stock for the masks.

For the snack we made chocolate covered frozen bananas. I peeled the bananas, cut them in halves and inserted popsicle sticks into them. Then I covered them and placed them in the freezer for 2-3 hours. I melted half of a 11.5 oz bag of milk chocolate chips in the microwave and used a butter knife to spread the melted chocolate onto the bananas. Then we topped them with sprinkles and chopped nuts. The chocolate will harden fast so you have to be quick to get the sprinkles and nuts to stick. You can eat these right away or place them back into the freezer until you are ready to serve them. These were really good!!!
A 11.5 oz bag of chocolate chips will make approx. 8 banana halves.

You could also buy balloons and prepare a bubble activity to go with this theme. If you have any other ideas that would be fun to use with this theme please leave a comment!