Monday, June 8, 2009

Ballet Cupcakes and Wands

Last weekend was my daughter's ballet recital. The day before the recital I found a link on One Pretty Thing for these cupcake toppers. The idea came from a blog called Composing Hallelujah. Click HERE to go to Composing Hallelujah for the cupcake topper tutorial. She actually made her dresses out of tissue paper. It was a rainy day and I didn't want to go to the store so I just used what I had on hand. I used tulle instead of tissue paper and pink straws instead of sucker sticks. This is also the reason I didn't bake them in cuter paper cups. :) I followed the same directions though. I was surprised at how easy these were to make.You can also make matching invitations by following the same directions except don't add the back skirt and tape the bodice and front skirt to a blank card or folded piece of card stock. You could also attach these to gift bags.
Another think you could do is use white card stock for the bodice and white tulle for the skirt to make wedding dresses for a bridal shower.

My friend's sister-in-law made the wands for the girls. She cut wooden dowels into 12" pieces. Then she hot glued and twisted satin and sheer ribbons around the dowels. She tied jingle bells to some heavy strings and put the strings about 3 or 4 inches down the dowels before she finished twisting the ribbon around them. (To secure them) The three strings with bells were all different lengths about 1" apart. Then she hot glued a bow and jingle bell to the top. She also made some with small sea shells. The song the were dancing to was about shells and bells. I can't remember the name of the song but these wands went really cute with it and the girls loved them.

23 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

They turned out so cute! What a fun way to mark the occasion. I also love those wands!

Pam said...

Love the cupcake toppers! Adorable.

Brenda said...

Those are so CUTE! I would love to make those cupcakes to go with my princess birthday bags! I also love the wands!

Composing Hallelujahs said...

Oh they are absolutely WONDERFUL!!! i had considered using tulle and thought it would be too much trouble, but now i know i shoulda just tried it. they are just awesome!!!
mind if i link back to the ones you made?

Composing Hallelujahs said...

i have a crazy question to ask, could you email me directly? thanks! :) composinghallelujahs@gmail.com

Rainy Day Farm said...

Super cute ideas. I will have to make those for my daughter. She is a ballet nut!
Thanks for all of your great ideas. I just love coming to your blog and being inspired.

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi! One of my readers sent me a link to this post! These cupcake toppers are ADORABLE!! I'm saving them to feature in the future! Great job!!

Spirit of Adoption said...

These are SO cute! I'd love to do them for my daughters b-day. Can you tell me how you did the tulle skirt? I like that better than the tissue paper, actually, for ballet! : ) She's turning 3, and she LOVES ballet and tutu's ; )

My email address is
shawndauganda at hotmail dot com

My daughters b-day is Wed, so if you could get back to me soon, that would be so, so helpful ; )

thanks!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi! I decided to feature your cupcake toppers today! Thank you for the inspiration! www.TheTomKatStudio.com

Not just a Mommy! said...

Saw this over at TomKat Studios! And they ARE super cute! Wish I had these a while back when I did my Tutus and Twirls party...next time.

Anonymous said...

Hi...I love love love the ideas..wand and toppers...i would love to use the tulle for the toppers for my daughters June 26th, 3rd birthday party. I would like to know if you attached it the same exact way as the tissue paper instructions listed..with double sided tape? please let me know as soon as you can...i would like to get a head start on these with so much more to do....regarding the wands can you ask what type of string was used?...turtons@optonline.net

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, I love them!! Can you tell me how to make the skirts?? My daughters party is Saturday, so I know it is a big ask, but are you able to get back to me ASAP???
Thanks in anticipation,
Amanda (Exeter, NSW, Australia. anashmatt@yahoo.com)

Kim said...

Do you have a template of the bodice you used for the cupcake toppers. Can't wait to make them for my duaghters 4th bday!

Anonymous said...

Love the tutus! Can you tell me how you attached the tulle? Thanks!
my email address is patty21@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

I am not being able to get the tulle to attach when folded back down. Please any suggestions would be appreciated...
crw8596@hotmail.com

Anna said...

these are super cute!! we are having a ballerina party for my daughter in september- we're not quite sure how to attach the tule- could you e-mail me with directions? thanks! tipton.anna1@yahoo.com

sarah johnston said...

Please help me!!! I can't get the tulle to stsy put, please email me the directions. These are for this saturday. Thank you so much in advance!!
sperea@hotmail.com

Birthday Party Ideas said...

Oh my goodness! Just look at those cup cake toppers. Any little girl would love to have those on her birthday cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm hosting a pretty in pink baby shower for my friend and saw this cupcake topper and had to try it since my decor is tutus & flowers. I'm having a problem attaching the tulle. I've tried both tulle & tissue, but the tulle isn't attaching with the tape & don't look as full of a skirt as yours. Can you email me your directions? kaaunti@yahoo.com, Thanks.

Amanda Goff said...

I need to know how you did the tulle skirt also! Please email me ASAP at the_goff_gang@yahoo.com

Anna said...

Cute! My daughters bd is in Nov so I thought I'd throw a ballet/nutcracker party. I'm going to try to use hot glue since it looks like everyone is having trouble with the tulle staying put.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Like everyone else, I would love to know how to make the tulle skirt... Would you email me directions at lizrlynn@aol.com? I would be so appreciative!

Julia Fisher said...

LOVE these and can't wait to use it for my daughter's ballerina birthday next week! Just bought everything from the store, but wanted to know how you attached the tulle and if a secret other than double-sided tape? Thanks so much for letting me know if you have a quick second! - juliaofisher@gmail.com