Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A "Favorite Things" Party

I just hosted this party with my friend Kristin. We had a lot of fun planning and hosting it!

We sent the invitations out using evite. Here is what the invitation said, You are invited to a "Favorite Things" exchange party! We all have that special something that we just can't live without like a lotion, a must- have kitchen gadget, a scented candle, or a fabulous accessory. Please bring one of your favorite things to swap. There is a $10 limit. Refreshments will be served.

When our guests arrived we handed out these questionnaires. We asked them to secretly fill them out and return them to us. After we collected all of them my friend Kristin read them out loud. The guests had to guess whose card was being read. It was a fun way to find out more about each other. The questions we asked were:

What is your favorite movie?
What is your favorite season?
What is your favorite holiday?
What is your favorite book?
What is your favorite hobby?

Next we handed out these tins of M&M's. We told the guests not to eat the M&M's until the game was over. For each color of M&M we had them name some of their favorite things. For example if they had three blue M&M's then they had to name three of their favorite TV shows. Here are the colors and questions we used:

Red - favorite restaurants
Blue - favorite TV shows
Green - favorite foods
Brown - favorite stores

Next we put everyone's "Favorite Things" in the middle of the room. We had everyone draw a number. The person with number one got to choose first. They opened their bag and showed everyone what was inside. Then we had the person who brought it explain why it was one of their favorite things. I didn't get a picture of the favorite things but here is a list of what everyone brought:

A Pumpkin Patch scented candle
A Japanese Cherry Blossom scented candle
Three Bath and Body Works hand soaps
A big bottle of Aveeno lotion
Some gourmet hot cocoa
A night mask that you put in the freezer and a lip gloss
Some chocolates and a set of cards
Some treats, nail polish, and nail stickers

For the refreshments we had an ice cream sundae bar. Everyone was able to top their ice cream with their favorite toppings. I took this picture before the party. We also had brownies, bananas, and whip cream. YUM!!!

I made simple napkin rings out of the matching scrapbook paper. I cut the strips of paper 4" long by 1 1/2" wide.

I found some white take out boxes at Micheal's craft store. I filled them with some of my favorite chocolates. (The Bliss milk chocolate meltaways are the best!) I wrapped them with a strip of matching scrapbook paper. The strips I used were 12" long by 1 1/2" wide. I taped one side to the bottom and then tightly wrapped it around the box and taped the other end to the bottom. Then I made the tags in paint shop pro and tied them on with ribbon. These were super fast and easy to make.

The favor boxes wrapped in the matching scrapbook papers.


Lindsey said...

That is such a cute idea for a party. I might have to borrow your idea and have one at my house! Thanks for the blog post :)

Pink & Green Mama said...

Such a fun party idea!! I may just have to host one myself : ) Why should Oprah have all the fun?!

Jessica Morris said...

what a fantastic theme for a party! I love it!! :)
Between yesterday and today I read through *Every* single post of yours. And as a result was inspired to celebrate my husbands work promotion in a big way with us and the boys for dinner on Friday (he is away with work until then)

it's just lisa said...

I love it. Your blog is one of my favorite things:)

Carol said...

What a fun idea! Deer-hunting season is coming up here in MN. I think I'll have to throw a Favorite Thing party for the gals that weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Hopeful Helpmate said...

What a great idea & a wonderful idea for getting the girls together when you haven't seen them in a while.

Kristin said...

Thanks for hosting it with me. I feel like it wouldn't have been as awesome without all of you cute ideas. I think everyone had a great time!

Brenda said...

What a CUTE idea! I love your ideas! Thank you for sharing! It's all WONDERFUL! You inspire me!

Gourmet Candles Distributor said...

Great ideas flowing here. It makes a great theme as well.

Chris @ Celebrations At Home said...

What a cute idea for a party. Sounds like fun & lots of cute details!

Staci @ Designing and Motherhood said...

Today is my birthday...I wanted to have a girlfriend party...maybe in October during hunting season when the boys are GONE!! You did a fun & cute job. Have you ever done bridal parties? Staci

Bonny said...

SOOO bummed I missed it!!! Looks like you guys had a great time!!!

Jody said...

You really are an amazing party planner! I don't know how you do.

Lin said...

Wow! Looks like you guys had one awesome party. I love the ideas you have :)

Jadi said...

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

I hope you had a fun birthday! I haven't hosted a bridal party before. Creative Parties and Showers probably has some cute ideas.

Shelley@divinepartyconcepts said...

What a great idea for a girls night!

teachermomof2 said...

Great idea for a girls night out/in! Thanks for sharing! I will have to try it!

Jessica Morris said...

I just wanted to come back and share the link to the party my boys and I did for my husband - - you were the inspiration I needed to go the extra mile to make the event something a bit more than just his favorite meal served on our regular dinner plates! Thanks!! :)

heather said...

Looks like fun... but a lot of work. You do another and I will come LOL

MamaBug said...

What a wonderful idea and such a sweet way to share your friendship!
I just "found" your blog...I love your ideas. Thanks for sharing!

HereBeDragons said...

Super cute! I will definitely be doing this!

ariyan arifin said...

The basal benifiet by accretion off aloft to your case is you won't allegation to accordance your ID, on the off credible that you starting now see a record. This may accretion you a little fortune. My appraisal to you is exchange about charm calls be told!