Thursday, July 16, 2009

Macaroni Necklaces


Every once in awhile I color macaroni noodles to keep in my craft container for rainy days. To make necklaces I tape one end of a piece of yarn and tie the other end. Taping one end makes it easier for the kids to put the noodles on. My kids always enjoy making patterns out of the different colored noodles. This time I used gel food coloring in place of regular food coloring to make the colors more vibrant.

Here are the directions:

Pour 2 Tbsp of rubbing alcohol with 3-4 drops of food coloring into ziploc bag and mix the two together. Then pour approximately 1 cup of dry uncooked macaroni noodles into the bag. Seal the bag and shake until the noodles are evenly colored. Drain excess liquid and then pour the noodles out onto a cookie sheet covered with paper towels. Spread the noodles out with a fork and let them dry. This will take about 30-60 minutes. Store colored macaroni in small containers with lids.