Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Bug Themed Evening

I washed plastic bugs and placed them in the chip dip. I made ants on a log by spreading peanut butter on celery sticks and then topping them with raisins.

I made lady bug strawberries. I cut strawberries in half and then dipped the tips into melted chocolate. Then I spooned some of the melted chocolate into a zip loc bag and cut a small hole in one corner. I piped the chocolate out to make a line down the middle and the spots. These were quick and easy and the kids loved them!

I made a simple bug juice label on my computer and filled water bottles with Hawaiian punch packets to make bug juice.

I made worm hot dogs. These are easy to make. You just need to bring some water to a boil. Cut 4-6 slits along one half of each hot dog. Make the cuts about 1/4" apart and 1/2" deep. turn each hot dog over and make 4-6 cuts on the opposite side. Cook the hot dogs in the boiling water for about 5 minutes or until they become curvy. Remove from the water, and drain on paper towels. Place the hot dogs on open buns. I put a small amount of mustard in a zip loc bag, cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and piped eyes and a smile on the worms.

For dessert I served the kids worms in dirt. I filled the cups with chocolate pudding, topped them with Oreo crumbs and placed some gummy worms inside.

While I was getting dinner ready I let the kids create their own bugs. I put out different colored papers, glue, scissors, crayons, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, pom poms, and a few other craft supplies.

Here are their finished bugs! I thought they all did a great job. I printed off award ribbons from www.billybear4kids.com and attached them to Hershey candy bars. To get the template for the award ribbon click HERE.
The awards were for the most colorful bug, the most creative bug, the best named bug, the cutest bug, and the creepiest bug.

After dinner we went on a walk to a nearby park to look for bugs. Then we came home and watched The Ant Bully. We were going to watch A Bugs Life but we couldn't find it. The kids all had a lot of fun.